Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Quotes from Michael Korda

I found this at Google's "Brainy Quote":

  • What you hear repeatedly you will eventually believe.

  • Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you desire from what you do. If you are in a job you hate, face the fact squarely and get out.
  • The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own.
  • The freedom to fail is vital if you're going to succeed. Most successful people fail from time to time, and it is a measure of their strength that failure merely propels them into some new attempt at success.
  • The more you can dream, the more you can do.
  • Never walk away from failure. On the contrary, study it carefully and imaginatively for its hidden assets.
  • Success has always been easy to measure. It is the distance between one's origins and one's final achievement.
  • Success on any major scale requires you to accept responsibility... in the final analysis, the one quality that all successful people have... is the ability to take on responsibility.

I looked up Michael Korda on Wikipedia. I remembered him as the author of "Queenie," whose story was a clearly a thinly disgused version of his aunt Merle Oberon's story (His uncle was her ex-husband Sir Alexander Korda). I saw the miniseries that was based on the book twice (about 10 years apart). I had also heard that he was not crazy about Auntie Merle, which does not surprise me if you read the book. I also vaguely remembered that he could be droll at times and some of the quotes not included have bits of that.

What I found more interesting about his entry than his career and his connection with the later Merle Oberon (she herself an interesting study in the fine art of passing) was that he is the father of Chris Korda, a child whose path clearly makes one say, "Wow and I thought I had it bad because my child won't clean up his room when I ask..." Chris' Church of Euthanasia is... ah... interesting-particularly its "Four Pillars" of suicide, abortion, cannibalism and sodomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Tale of the Dark Crystal

The Tale of the Dark Crystal by Donna Bass My rating: 4 of 5 stars View all my reviews