Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Maturity

Michael Jackson has been accused of having "Peter Pan Syndrome." For those who aren't familiar with it, it means that this is a person who does not wish to take on adult responsibilities.
I don't know that I suffer from that, it does occur to me that I should be having more fun than I am currently having and I feel that being an adult should not suck so much.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to:

A) Still be alive
B) Still be alive and healthy
C) Recognize that my life could be truly miserable

I guess that I want to experience what some people experience, which is that unbearable lightness of being that motivates you to live your life to the full. That feeling that children usually have that makes them want to get up in the morning.

I get the feeling that adults lose this and fast and we spend the declining years trying to get it back. That's why we buy the gadgets and get the face-lifts and crowd the studio audiences of Tony Robbins, Dr. Phil, Oprah, Suze Orman and whoever else seems to tell us that there is a way to find it.

I am not in the age group of that demographic. I am in the demographic that makes up the eldest of their children, who were told to do certain things and to take on certain values even if we saw how flawed they were.

I did not expect every day to be great but life is a bowl of cherries. True, some of it is the pits but a lot of it is sweet. I think I want a little more sweet.

I guess the fact that I lost a second walkman in a year has got me down. I am down because I obviously did not learn my lesson from last time about coworkers and thievery. Well, I learned it now. I think I just hate the fact that people steal and will steal junk. The walkman had more sentimental value that dollar value. It was a walkman, not an ipod.

Well, maturity is knowing that into everyone's day a little rain must fall.

So why get wet? Where is my umbrella?

I suppose that's what maturity is also, knowing that mummies and/or daddies can't kiss it and make it all better. I will need to find my own umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Tale of the Dark Crystal

The Tale of the Dark Crystal by Donna Bass My rating: 4 of 5 stars View all my reviews